Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Looking Back on an Unforgetable Experience



It was not hard to feel both exhilaration and heart break when I saw the extreme poverty of Pachacutec. The unbelievable conditions left me numb, and feeling small about the trivial complaints that we all have about inconveniences we experience in our lives of plenty. But I felt a sense of exhilaration watching teachers in the Coprodeli schools I visited, their incredible dedication and love for the children of Pachacutec. I find myself thinking daily about those children, deprived of the most basic necessities of life, and what their world will turn out to be 20 years from now. And how do they feel when they look at a TV and see the glamour and wealth spewing out as if is the normal life style of a world far removed from them? The children in the orphanages that I visited were animated, warm, and inquisitive….despite their modest surroundings. I felt honored to have been part of their life for a night, to be so fully accepted by these children.

This experience has left an indelible mark on me. The trip to Macchu Picchu and the trek up the steep mountain to the top of Waynu Picchu was the most physically demanding experience I have ever had. To be 9,000 feet up, peering at Incan ruins far below was breathtaking. And having my children there at the top, cheering my late arrival was unforgettable. But as remarkable as Macchu Picchu was, for me Peru will always be about the children and need for more volunteers and funding for the important work of Coprodeli.

Thomas Steffanci (aka Papa Tomas)

No comments:

Post a Comment